Wednesday, July 9, 2014

6 degrees of separation

Mah Jongg is a culture unto itself.  We could go to a Mah Jongg tournament almost anywhere and make connections with someone we know...or at least within 6 degrees of separation!  It's like  Mah Jongg Geography.

You can walk in to a room full of players and know what to do without giving it a second thought.  You sit and chat with folks you don't know and soon you find that you know people in common.

In Atlanta in May, I met players I knew from Texas, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
On our cruise in March, Barbara met a woman who had played Mah Jongg with her aunt in Greenlawn, NY in the 70's.  And, if not someone you know, you will certainly find that you have friends in common.

When I met Michele in Atlanta she told me about Mah Jongg and Me:  a blog I had yet to find written by Ann who lives in Manhattan.   As soon as I got home I looked up the blog and went back to read all of the posts from the beginning. They are filled with wonderful information related to the game.  Be sure to check out her blog.

We've connected to Ann through her blog and emails....and have plans to meet with her in the city in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait to talk Mah Jongg with another avid player. 

All things Mah Jongg become special.  The sets and tiles we use.  The food we serve.   And the people we play with.  I wonder if Kevin Bacon plays Mah Jongg?









No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to read your comments! You can post anonymously if you don't have a google account.