Thursday, July 24, 2014

Switching Hands

I love the transformations that take place in a Mah Jongg hand during the course of a game.

Here's an example from a game last week.

When the passing ends I have a nice start on the FF 222 444 666 888 hand.  I keep the soap, and the 1Crak just in case I want to switch to a 2104 hand...you never know what you might pick up.

Now I've given up on the 2014 hand because the 2s, 4s, and 8s are coming in.  But when I pick a red dragon I keep it, just in case I can do the 22 44 666 888 DDDD hand.


Uh Oh....now I've added another joker!  So close to both hands!

I think:
For the :  22 44 666 888 DDD:  I have the pairs.  I can call for the 6 and the 8 AND the red dragon.

For the :  FF 222 444 666 888:  (it's concealed)  I would have to pick either a 2, 4, 6, 8 or joker to discard my red dragon and then I would be on call for the Mah Jongg.

It really depends upon which tile I pick next that fits into one of these hands.

My next pick is a RED DRAGON.  I discard a flower and wait for a 2, 4, 6, 8 or dragon to call.
I pick a 6 crack, discard the second flower and wait to call MJ on either a 2, 4, 8 or dragon.

My chances are good....you can see in the last photo that we are pretty early in the game.

And, yes.  I made the Mah Jongg.

~Susan

2 comments:

  1. Always a big debate in my mind as to whether to play the 22 44 666 888 DDD hand or the concealed FF 222 444 666 888. Once a tile is discarded and you call for it then the decision is made to go for the 22 44 666 888 DDD and there is no turning back. Once when I was playing the concealed hand I completely forgot and picked up a discarded tile - that was the end of that hand for me and I was forced to try to play the open hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a crap shoot, isn't it?? You have to decide in a few seconds which way to go with a hand and sometimes it works...other times it doesn't. Actually, it's what makes the game so challenging and SO MUCH FUN! Every game is a new one. Never the same.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to read your comments! You can post anonymously if you don't have a google account.